We’re excited to announce that an update to Symbiosis is now available as an update on Bytemark Cloud.
This update updates Symbiosis to the latest stable Debian version (Stretch) and adds many general fixes to improve reliability and increase performance.
- We’ve updated the Debian base from Jessie to Stretch. This brings extensive benefits, as outlined here: https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/release-notes/ch-whats-new.html
- Apache has been updated from 2.4.10 to 2.4.25. This gives improved performance while remaining compatible with your current setup. It also adds HTTP2 support.
- PHP from 5.6 to 7.0. You may switch between PHP7 and PHP5 modules, but we recommend checking your website code for PHP7 compatibility before upgrading.
- Changed from MySQL to MariaDB
- Symbiosis changes:
- Everything you know and love about Symbiosis is updated to work with Stretch
- Website stats are disabled by default to improve user privacy in line with GDPR requirements
- Reject www-data firewall rule has been removed, which previously blocked WordPress and other applications from retrieving updates
- Let’s Encrypt renewal issues resolved
- The “admin” user added to www-data group by default
- PHP default variables made more reasonable – max-size limits are now increased from 2MB to 64MB
- “symbiosis-httpd-logger” issues resolved for sites with lots of domains, increasing performance
- New features:
- “symbiosis-httpd-logger”: Now written in GoLang, increasing performance for high volume websites
- Skeleton Directories: Upon creating a new domain, a skeleton directory structure is created, helping you get started quicker
- SSL Hooks: When an SSL certificate is updated or renewed, services which depend on it (or any additional services you hook in) are reconfigured and reloaded automatically.
Please carefully review the instructions below to ensure a smooth upgrade. Should you experience any issues, please do reach out to support, we’re happy to assist:
Thanks for Reading!
If you haven’t tried Bytemark Cloud before, or haven’t checked it out in a few months, we’d encourage you to take a look. We offer a generous 7 day trial with no obligation to continue- so give us a try and let us know what you think!